PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SFO near ground collision/runway incursion (re-titled from: YIKES)
Old 16th Jun 2007, 07:11
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Although exact pilot readback of "holdshort...", "cleared in position to hold" etc seems not to have been a factor in that near-tragedy, why do only some US airports (i.e. ORD or DFW) put in their ATIS "pilots read back all hold short instructions...".

I realize from reading PPrune for years that US ATC often does not comply with standard ICAO radio phraseology, but do many US airline, corporate (etc) pilots not reply to the tower with their callsign and the proper words?

How about in other countries?

The requirement to include such normal readbacks in the ATIS often puzzles me.
And proper 'hearback' is often clipped, missed or blocked.

CargoBoy: The terrible accident when the 737 landed on the Metroliner was caused by the Controller leaving the Metro in position for an extended period at sunset (for a while, ATC stopped this procedure in the dark). It was not seen by the Boeing on approach. This reminds me-why don't all pilots switch on their floodlights/nacelle lights when crossing any runway or holding in position?
They probably should not be calling for any checklist anyway (heads down..), unless that runway is rarely used. If they don't have such lights, why not at least their taxi lights on bright, if possible?