PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poles say Scots are Cross Dressers!!
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2000, 14:03
Tartan Gannet

Smile

Hug Monster, thanks for the correction, though I think David Niven did say in his book "The Moon's a Baloon" that latterly the HLI wore kilts too, my uncle was in the Argylls and they certainly wore kilts.

I have never seen anything frilly under a man's kilt when I lived in Scotland and knew many kilted men in the likes of Pipe Bands, competators in Highland Games etc, though shades of David Beckham sharing his thongs with Victoria Posh Spice Im sure it may happen these days. My uncle told me that in the Army the "True Scot" was the rule and the men had to walk over a mirror in the guard room, and if wearing anything at all were on a charge of being improperly dressed. All the boys and men I knew who wore the kilt wore navy blue or bottle green cotton knickers (briefs) under their kilts. These are the same type women and girls wear for hockey and netball but are hardly the frilly, girly type of underwear that a Transvestite would wear for thrills, indeed the women called them "passion killers".

I hope this doesn't spoil peoples jokes about Scotsmen and the Kilt but as Jock myself I do get a bit fed up with this cliche as no doubt the Irish get about Thick Paddy Jokes, and the Jews about jokes concerning being tight with money.