PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I crazy to be considering this?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2007, 03:37
Wanderin_dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you run the idea past the wife? How does she feel about living a looooooooong way from Sydney for the next few years?

If it were me, i'd buy a part share in a beautiful a/c and enjoy flying that. YAK 52TW would do the trick!

You can say goodbye to $100K of that $150K with a GA career if you're aiming for the big boys (basically if you're aiming to get a decent return on your investment). If i was gonna blow that kinda cash i'd wanna do it flying aircraft i really wanna fly, living where i wanna live and flying with people i want to fly with.

I spent 4 years in GA and it killed my passion for being a commercial pilot. The passion for flying still burns strong though, so now i work for a bank weekdays (earning twice what i did in GA) and take punters up on weekends in an old Tiger. Best of both worlds!! Also takes the income to very nearly 3 times my GA income and for the first time what i spent on flying is LESS than my annual salary (it feels VERY good).

The instructing weekends idea is great in theory, but i reckon it'd be cheaper for ya to buy you're own plane and fly it! Plus, what's the demand for a 300hr Jnr grade 3 who wants to choose his own hours?

If flying is what you enjoy then fly! Don't WORK (after a year that's what it is) You're in a position where you can choose how you fly. If it were me i'd keep it that way. When someone else is calling the shots it isn't as much fun.

Last edited by Wanderin_dave; 16th Jun 2007 at 04:30.