PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Adler Tag
Thread: Adler Tag
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2000, 14:32
redsnail

Great posts folks.
ANZAC day is not celebrated as a Victory over any one. Indeed it was the successful retreat off Turkish soil with no casualties is one of the reasons as to why it is remembered. It was Australia's baptism of fire. I can't speak on how it is handled in New Zealand.
WRT to WW2. My dear ol' dad was a lad in Glasgow during WW2. Yeah, he saw some horrible things, things that he finds difficult to talk about even now. My grandfather was in Air Sea Rescue on the Mediteranean Sea. He told me this story. He was watching a dog fight high above him. It was between an American and a German. The American shot down the German but he managed to parachute to safety. My grandfather and team set off to get the downed aviator. As they got him on board they noticed his hands were badly burnt. Eventually they got back to shore and waiting for them was the American aviator. "hello" they all thought. The American approached the German and saw that his hands were burnt and bandaged. He asked the German would he like a smoke (how ironic), the German indicated yes. So the American lit a cigarette and placed it in the Germans mouth so he could smoke it. I suppose it was a "no hard feelings" gesture. I think they respected each other for their skill and let's face it, bravery.
Much of the detail is left out and sadly my grandfather passed on a while ago so I can't get any more stories like that one.
Thanks to all that fought for our freedon.