PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Adler Tag
Thread: Adler Tag
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2000, 03:07
ORAC

The Spectator, 16 September. Letter from: Peter J Farrell.

"Sir,

As we celebrate the 60th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain, the true story of that battle should be told.

It was not the Spitfires nor the Hurricanes or their pilots which alone won that battle. The victory was due to a remarkable piece of British technology. The Mark 7 - or Bluenose - bullet. This bullet, so called for it's blue nose (in contrast to the rednose or tracer bullet, or blacknose or armour piercing bullet) exploded when it hit it's target and blew a hole a size of your fist.

This was Britain's complete answer to the German air forces self-sealing petrol tank. There was no defence against it. On 15 September the bluenose bullets were issued to all fighter aircraft used in the defence of Britain. On that day 185 German aircraft were destroyed and the next day Goering stopped daylight raids." END

- Now, I am not an expert on such things. What I have suggests that the 15th was a cusp. (RAF losses 35. German 80). However, it seemed to be repeated just over a week later when the weather cleared on the 27th (RAF losses 41, German 67) so I cannot, hand on heart, justify a sudden change in losses which, cause unknown, would seem to have changed the Luftwaffe tactics. And, as I say, the figures seem wrong anyway.

I am more interested in the concept. It would not have been the first time an new engineering idea solved a problem for the glory to be taken by the pilot, particularily in war (Cat's eye Cunningham and AI radar for example). Even if it was not over one day or one week, are the facts about the round correct and was it that dramatic an improvement?

Any professional knowledge out there?

Anyone wishing to respond personally to the letter the address of the magazine is:

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by ORAC (edited 24 September 2000).]