PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF pilots leaving
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2007, 21:23
Cloud Basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OZBorn,
Most of the QFI's are indeed only in their early to mid 30's anyway and will either be a FLTLT or SQNLDR. They are either just out of ROSO or still have some remaining. The other point with QFI' is they are still flying. Might not be exactly as they envisaged, but they are still in an aircraft.

As for all these new aircraft coming on line, this is also largely irrelevant as most training is being done by a contractor, or other forces (C17 as an example). The training that is done in a SQN is no different to what is currently done - at least for the RAAF - and as has been shown here on this board, there will always be blokes who are yet to see reality outside of the RAAF and will take the QFI jobs, the squadron instrutor jobs etc just to "stay flying". This then gives them another few years flying in the Big Blue.

Don't get me wrong these people are needed but their numbers are so small that they will usually always be found. In addition to this is the restructure of the reserves where we are now getting back previously lost experienced pilots who did get out. They now have a chance to come back and stroke their egos by flying something fun as opposed to simply getting paid lots to manage their highly automated flight decks on milk runs, but more importantly than this flippant statement, is these pilots can provide a pool of relatively experienced pilots. From what I have seen of the few so far morale is sky high amongst these blokes and why wouldn't it be, they are getting paid shed loads then "on the weekend" they come and fly RAAF toys and get the best of both worlds?

We could always flog a few pilots from 2SQN for another couple of years to fill any immediate holes.

So as I said before the only real problem the RAAF has with pilots is the there are a lot that thinks the RAAF owes them a flying job. The quicker that you realise the RAAF doesn't want you flying beyond 35 the better off you will be financially and job wise. By job wise I mean take a desk job in the RAAF and try and become CAF or get out, flying airliners, keep the family happy, watch the bank account and assets grow (or at least spend more!) and then if you really want to fly something with a military rego, join the reserves and help out the boggies who are yet to come to grips with reality!

My two cents anyway

Cheers
CB