PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA Flight Attendants rip the ring out at IAD
Old 15th Jun 2007, 20:31
3rdBogey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FDP Extension

Many moons ago I was on board when a certain SAA captain used captain's discretion to extend the FDP to get the job done.
1 Leg. NY to JNB. Started with a technical, then snow....... After the second de-ice, we were number 64 in line. The 3 hours had been and gone longgggg. Now he invoked "emergency limits". We're still on the ground #64. We did the full service, everything! But, that don't make it right! Needless to say, CRM was a subject he lectured, that way he was excused from practicing it. His F/O's were frantically on the mic. to JNB to get a directive to change course for SAL. Nooooo chance at that time of night. DCA inspector on board, mmmmm "Leave me out of this, it's entirely the commanders decision." His exact words.
This is a lot of speculation and of course it's a rumour network. But I often wander about CRM. It's my pet love, but I still see so many people who believe it's for someone else.
One wanders what the Maestro, late D.Hack.... would have done? He knew about CRM.
Like the 800 that went down in West Africa, NOBODY knows what happened till the investigation is complete. Do we have all the facts here???
I still believe a combined effort, with PROPER consultation does get the job done, even in pressing times. But contempt gets fewer positive results.
By the way, the FDP (not dp) was 24hrs 25 minutes......... 1 leg.