PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone else remember "The Swamp" at APC?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2007, 18:51
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 443 Likes on 235 Posts
lsh,

Strewth - the flying black billy goat for the Ghurkas (well, running 1500 feet vertically downwards into the jungle) story is a good one - I've recounted it a few times - who was the pilot though when it appeared in the cockpit; I can't remember?

Talking of flying objects - smoking in the Puma cockpit was allowed if an ashtray was fitted. As a non-smoker, I used to "lose them" - in fact I helped lay a trail of the damn things in the jungle all the way to BGS at Rideau camp - stores eventually ran out of them and it was officially no smoking.

(Cue local natives talking in the jungle watering hole - "Bloody RAF! Last week it was ashtrays - now it's a F>c£ing GOAT)!"

Airdog Muttley with the hare lip from a local's machete bite. She got put on a charge for sleeping on duty and fined some biscuits, IIRC.

Buying a mahogany rocking chair from the Mennonite settlement - landed many times for others - never got one myself!

The mad major at Holdfast "Call me Rocky! Only one thing I'm scared of, don't you know - SNAKES; but I'm going to conquer that fear ".
Shortly afterwards he took a snake off me and it bit him... poor bloke probably still has nightmares

"One Barrel" cheap rum - which got banned after the SMO had it analysed - methyl alcohol sends you blind - can I claim for needing reading glasses these days?

Arriving for my first det - APC swimming pool closed indefinitely just before I got there due to some drunken grunt laying a brown harbour trout down in the deep end. Still got my NAAFI beach towel from Honduras though, twenty five years later. Now that WAS a bargain.

Oh, Happy days.