PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Down Tools At Aero
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2007, 14:31
AlternativeProcedure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rani, Rani, Rani
Nigeria hasn't been getting sweet press reviews lately. Kidnappings, health hazards, robberies, faked "elections", etc. Again, what I'm saying is that in order to lure (for example) the Australians, Canadians, and Italians to come to Nigeria, the airlines have no choice but to throw a bone in their direction.
No dispute about all that, but all we are saying is that, at some point fairness has to kick in. Employees will always talk amongst themselves, they will always find out what the other is earning for doing the same job and sooner or later there will be a demand for better conditions. I'm not so sure you are totally aware of what is being demanded. Newspapers tend to over dramatize things, so here we go. Aero is owned by a company called CHC, some people are being paid by CHC, some by different agencies, some by aero itself. In some opinions, the CHC scheme is better than the Aero one. Even amongst the expats, some people arent on the CHC scheme.
The dispute is about everyone, going on the CHC sheme so that there is uniformity for all. And the scheme does take into considering stuff like seperation allowances that u mention. That means that if a Nigerian is posted to a place like CHC Libya, he/she would get that seperation allowance, but in Nigeria they wouldn't. But at the moment the difference in terms and conditions between those on it and those not on it is huge. That is what is creating the resentment. Trust me, Aero guys are just not the type to down tools for the sake of doing so, they wouldn't do it if they believed the current system was fair. PM me if you want further discussions on this.
Cheers AP