PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Now is your chance to remove unnecessary rules and costs/VOR airspace thread merged
Old 15th Jun 2007, 04:00
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
Condition lever, I knew this had to happen. I have never said that something is better or safer in the USA, I’ve just said that if we have higher costs, our industry will be destroyed – and that is happening.

1. If there was an increase in risk in operating above 10,000 feet without oxygen, this should surely be reflected in the US accident rate – however it is not. If you look at the GA accident rate in the USA there is no measurable difference to our accident rate - even though they have months of snow and ice, huge high mountain ranges and 15 times the amount of traffic.

You state it is:

IMHO not worth the increase in risk in Australia.
Can you advise what information you have that there is a measurable increase in risk?

Also, do you think it is sensible for a pilot and passengers to be bashing around in the most incredible turbulence at 10,000 feet when they could be at 11,000 or 12,000 feet in smooth air? I certainly don’t.

2. Your understanding in relation to the 5 nautical mile final only being required at licensed airfields is wrong. The requirement is for all landings. This means that my example is not erroneous.

Once again, you are resisting change. Everything must remain the same, nothing must ever change. Then we will all be comfortable – won’t we?