PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone remember my Dad? 'Vulcan Bomber'
Old 14th Jun 2007, 21:04
v2bsnr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sarah, I trained with your dad 'Al' Bennett

Hello Sarah,
I hope you still monitor this thread - I've only just seen your request and have registered so that I can respond.
Al and I joined up together in early 1962 at RAF South Cerney near Cirencester, where we did our officer training. We then went on to RAF Hullavington in Wiltshire for Basic Navigation Training followed by RAF Stradishall near Bury St Edmunds for Advanced Nav Training. We then moved to RAF Lindholm near Doncaster (both Hullavington and Lindholm are now prisons, I think!) for training on the Navigation and Bombing System - as a Navigator / Radar on V-bombers this is what your dad would operate.
After this we went our separate ways - Al to RAF Finningley (now Doncaster Robin Hood Airport) to 'convert' to Vulcans and then on to Cottesmore, and I to RAF Gaydon to fly Valiants and later Victors. By a quirk of fate I was visiting RAF Cottesmore for several weeks December 1967 to February 1968.

Also, there is a Vulcan B2 at the Winthorpe Aircraft Museum (just outside Newark, so shouldn't be too far from you) - by appointment it's possible to go into the cockpit.

Hope this add to the picture you are building up. I will have a look in my 'memories boxes' as it's just possible I might have some photos.
Haven't sussed how this system works yet, but if you think I can help any further just e-mail