PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jaguar handling
Thread: Jaguar handling
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2007, 16:31
Phanjagthunhar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jag Handling

The trouble with posing questions like ACW599's original is that it is bound to flush out a batch of 'knowledgeable' QFIs! My recollection is that the latter were to be generally ignored until a week or 2 before one's annual check-ride!

But to the matter in hand and Newt's focus on 1v1 in a telephone box with the old pussy cat. I seem to recall that it was all about feeling the aircraft through the stick and airframe. In the 'older' days of not-so-carefree handling, no self-respecting pilot ever won a 'doggers' by looking through or around the HUD for alpha; he (there were no shes then!) did so by flying the aircraft and looking out where it mattered! This, of course, explains why QFIs were always walking around on the end of a 'pipper'; never was a breed of pilot so adept at manoeuvring into the 12 O'Clock!

The design authorities recognised this fact of Jaguar combat life and so retro-fitted an audio stall-warning device. Rather cleverly, it became more distracting, and hugely annoying, as the alpha increased; to the point, in fact, that one might be in serious danger of losing the fight. So, the same self-resepcting pilots found the off switch for that little device. Just like they found the little buttons on the engine instrument panel that magically gave you a little more poke at the moment critique! Mind you, the authorities soon had those little rascals disabled! Why? Because they detected rapidly rising fun meters for those obvioulsy non-QFI pilots who had discovered the thrust buttons (and, yes, unbelievably they were introduced into service without announcement!); and because engines were being cooked at an alarming rate!

I wonder what JP will have to say about all of that?!!