PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus into BHD
Thread: Airbus into BHD
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2007, 14:39
WHBM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mr Q
I have been curious about the A319 A 320and A 321 operations into BHD.
Are there special restrictions due to the size and location of the airfield??
I have asked this question before but never received any reply (not even a rude one.....unusual for PPRuNe...)
Can anyone answer??
Let me try without being rude

There are no restrictions and BMI use all three types on scheduled service into there (although the A321 is just about to leave their fleet).

There was a temporary restriction on the A321 a couple of years ago, this was due to a particular A321 (only) situation when operating with full flaps (which are required at BHD due to runway length) and some other combinations of circumstances. It meant the A321 was restricted from landing with full flap anywhere but BHD was one of the few places where it was required. It was a software issue which, as so often with such problems, took one day to fix and then six months to validate. During that time BMI had to rejig aircraft rosters so the A321 avoided BHD.

The software issue could lead to the A321 getting into some phugoid oscillations on finals which apparently is what is seen on a well-known video clip on the web of a TAP A321 having a distinctly unstable approach to Lisbon airport during strong crosswinds.