PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indian FTL Policies:A Recipie For Disaster
Old 14th Jun 2007, 08:26
BurglarsDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what its worth I would agree that India has a potential problem where the culture of flight safety is concerned. Be interesting to see how India complies with the Av Eng requirement as well as any CRM training? Though I personally have no empirical evidence to prove my story I do have a vivid memory of when and where it was told!
While working for a major training Org last year myself and a few other instructors were having a bit of a banter in the bar,as one does, and a few tales of the unexpected popped up. Though blo*dy funny at the time , in hindsight it was alarming. One of the instructors had got himself a pax ride from Europe to the Far east on some cargo outfit. Somewhere over India the acft was retasked at short notice to divert and pick up something or someone from the subcontinent. As a jumpseater he was aware of all transmissions made and received.
At FL 350 or so, the crew asked for descent and were .... " Cleared to land" Must be a mistake thought all.
So they waited a while, letting the obviously flustered Indian ATC get their act together, and then asked again. Same reply " Callsign cleared to land Rwy wind etc etc". By now said instructor had been requested by the crew to double check procedures for ATC clearance etc to make sure everyone was on the same wavelength.
Bottom line... after several more requests to descend, and the track miles winding down to destination, the only clearance that COULD be obtained was " Callsign cleared to land" So ....cautiously, and in full daylight VMC conditions down they went ...............with all eyes out the window.
After landing, and whilst the acft was being turned around, the Air trafficker walked over to the tower to see what was going on, and found one very harassed and animated looking turba**ed controller all alone up to his eyes in traffic saying to all and sundry " Cleared to land !! " The controllers english was limited ( as was his understanding of the task apparently ) or so the story goes, and his circuit and vertical traffic pattern beyond was bedlam. But, when asked if he was happy/ comfortable / or words to that effect / he cheerfully replied "Ohh... yes ....you should have seen me yesterday when I was busy !!"
On departure all hands were on window watch and no one relaxed until the acft was established coasting out at a FL !!
No wonder I never sleep when crossing this part of the world even as a pax!!
DogGone