PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I crazy to be considering this?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2007, 05:39
SydneyAeros

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I crazy to be considering this?

I'm questioning if I should even be considering this but I am and would appreciate the ppruners advice…………

I'm just 36 and have been in IT for the last 10 years on a nice 6 figure salary and my company has been bought and I'm about to come across a circa $150K payout for my shares. I got my PPL back in 1989 when I was 18 with the intention of becoming an commercial/airline/corporate pilot. A medical at the time diagnosed me with Keratoconus in one eye (other 20/20) and my doctor at the time suggested that I may not have a long career and doubted my ability to hold a Class 1 for the duration - fast forward to today and I have heard of many pilots with Keratoconus who fly for airlines with no troubles and as well mine has not progressed and a recent checkup with a Ophthalmologist (DAME) informed me that I would have no problems holding a Class 1 till I was well into my 60's. Unfortunate that I didn't get that advice years ago.

I recently went back and did an aeros endorsement and find it hard to concentrate on anything that isn’t aviation related and am really enjoying my flying. I’m pretty bored and disillusioned with the IT industry, have no kids (yet) but am married and wondering if it isn't worth one last shot at a career change while I am still south of forty. I will have the dollars to do a CPL /Multi /IR and can take time off through long service leave to do it but what prospects post training? I could do an instructor rating and teach part time & gain experience and consult in IT for a while - may be best of both worlds..........

Does sound crazy I know but anyone else out there ever done what I am considering and have any advice?

Total hours 160
PIC 60
PPL with aeros, constant speed/retractable