PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slowing down on final approach.....
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2007, 22:08
Ashling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guy's 100% is spot on, in a 737 700 you cannot do 160 to 4 and gaurentee stability at 1000' end of. Once again that is with Gear down Flap 15 which is putting something like +15kts on that flaps mvr speed. If you can do it on your type with your SOPs I'm very happy for you but we can't do it with ours not reliably. Sure on occasion with a heavy weight or high wind you might do it but on our average day it won't happen. Typicaly most guys begin their slowdown at between 4.5 & 5 d for 2 reasons. Large speed decrease needed to VAT today for me Vat wind corrected 128Kts and Flap 30 limit of 165 Kts so if you try dropping it at 160 its bad practise for flap wear and you run the risk of overstressing it if you hit a lift. So if I hold 160 to 4 I have to lose in excess of 22kts ( max plus 10 on Vat allowed ) take land flap and spool the engines up all in 200' or 2/3s of a mile whichever you prefer whilst following the glide, it just ain't going to happen in a 700. Company pay my wages their train set so I follow their rules.