PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Pilots Salaries
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2007, 18:27
r44flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting read this thread.

Having recently left university and now looking to take the leap into the industry I have found it difficult to find concrete evidence of rotary salaries in different fields.

I am fortunate enough to have both PPL(A) and PPL(H) (although (H) is not now current), and it has always been a real financial consideration of mine the expense involved in rotary training. Training hours on even the basic R22 can often be twice that of a C152 or similar, or at least 75% higher. My PPL(H) easily cost more than twice what my (A) cost and I did the (H) in 2001.

It's a daunting prospect for new pilots, well it is for me anyway, that (in my, less than fully educated, opinion) there are still the same risks involved with large investment and no guarantee of a job when training in finished as there is in the fixed wing game, as all the wannabe airline pilots will attest. The problem with rotary is the elevated cost of training makes it significantly harder to afford off your own back with the help of a loan.

The rotary industry is something I will be looking into in more detail in the coming months, but as the outlay for fixed wing training is less, it is likely my aviation career will take that path. Unfortunately, given the choice, I'd choose rotary work any day of the week. The versatility and variety (given the right job) is attractive to me, and corporate work would be my goal.