PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Obtaining a FI, is it hard?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2007, 12:24
Troy McClure

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thoughts re VFE's post -

Air law for the ppl:

1. Commander has ultimate responsibility for the flight.

2. Make sure you have a valid medical or you're not insured.

3. You must fly at least 12 hours in the second of the two years of your SEP rating, of which at least 6 must be P1 and one must be a revalidation flight of at least one hour with an instructor (or a successful flight test of any kind). And don't get angry with the flying school if you've failed to notice it's expired...

4. Don't go below 1500' over a built up area, don't go lower than 500' unless there's no building etc there, or making an approach with intent to land (or go-around/t+g if licenced field).

5. Don't bust controlled airspace without a clearance.

Most (and yes, I'm sure there are other bits and pieces that I've not mentioned) of the rest is a case of learning it in the morning, passing the exam in the afternoon. Has anyone ever seen a ball hanging from a lamp post on an airfield? Worried so much about the difference between sovereignty and suzerainty that you forgot to flare? Been so concerned about what class of airspace that VFR route across the Irish Sea is, that you hit the water?

Only points 1 and 2 have any relevance to your first solo. If it were up to me, Met would be the first exam so your students understand why you're not letting them fly on their own today....