PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High College Failure Rate?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2007, 11:02
alfaman

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Inca_Gold01: depends how you define "hiccup"!

To me, a "hiccup" equals further training needed to reach the required standard, before further training at unit.

So, Taffy1 is now competent, which therefore means he/she reached the required standard at college, continued through training at unit to competency level, & is now competent. So, he/she got what they needed to get the result.

A systemised training regime like CATC has to draw a line somewhere. The decision is where the line should be, & what should happen when someone falls short of it. Not everyone learns at the same rate, & that is not a function of intelligence, nor of an inability to work hard, & is may not even be an indicator of future performance. But company requirements dictate that course structures are tailored to meet the system, rather than any one individual, so the chances of meeting any specific learning style or preference is dictated by luck, not by judgement. I suggest that maybe what influences the fabled "high failure rate", rather than all the thousands of other reasons touted about.

I understand very few people ever exit the college with a completely "clean sheet", however, if they have the skills they need & the experience to apply themselves to unit training, then well done to all concerned. The issue is if people leave with less than is required & that's where attention should be focussed.

And well done, Taffy1, hope Friday was fun, & glad you feel the guys & girls at CATC contributed their bit.