PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - www.enviro.aero a.k.a Taking on the enviroterrorists
Old 13th Jun 2007, 05:11
N1 Vibes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W.R.A.I.T.H

to go back to your original point, very valid to mention the £10 tax, let's put it in perspective with one of the perceived biggest polluters - private road transport. If you imagine that UK air transport is estimated to be responsible for 5% of the UK's CO2 production, 2002 UK Gov emissions stats, and that 200 million people flew from the UK in 2005, than that's a revenue of about £2 billion per year for UK Gov with the new tax.

And that in the same survey about 8% was due to private household vehicles, i.e. private cars. Tax on petrol say 70%, total consumption in 2003 73 million litres a day, lets say half is for private cars, 36.5 million litres a day, 95p a litre. Means the UK gov takes £24 million a day, about £8.9 billion a year.

So if this £10 is an 'environment tax', £2 billion revenue, on an industry causing 5% of the problem. Then for private cars, 8% of the problem, the industry will need to pay an additional £3.2 billion a year. Making petrol £1.28 a litre.

Can't wait for the next budget!!

Brgd's,

N1 Vibes - currently digging myself a hole in the sand somewhere in Iraq...