PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA to Canadian ATP. Books to buy?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2007, 16:03
JJflyer
ZbV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions

I am sorry not to be able to go into specifics about the questions as I honestly do not remember them. It took me about 30 minutes to answer these and I passed on the first attempt with mid 80's on the points.
These where by no means easy nor was it a walk in the park. You are actually required to have a fairly good knowledge on the CAR's.
As for the Material. I recommend going through Culhanes online ATPL groundschool questions. This gave me an idea what to expect for the test itself and what type of questions are asked and how they are worded. Being totally unfamiliar with the Canadian testing system this proved very useful to me. Out of the Accelerated Aviation ATPL material I put a special emphasis on air law and procedures, learning most of the stuff and then when something needed clarification I would go through the Transport Canada website or the AIM and Jeppesen products.
Get yourself a copy of the Canadian AIM (Aeronautical Information Manual). Concentrate on the differences between FAR's and CAR's. I went through the manual with a toothpick. Before I started with the AIM, I went through the Jeppesen North America Flight Supplement Book. And pretty much learned all the regs and rules for Canada that this publication contains.

All in all it is not easy but not very hard either. If you have a good general knowledge on aviation law and ICAO rules etc and have a good study routine a weeks worth of study should do the trick. But like for me, having been out of the classroom for 10 years, it required some book digging.

Had I known about the Aerocourse option, I would have done what I did and then taken the course. I am pretty sure that this could have prepared me better and I would have had it easier on the test.

JJ