PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slowing down on final approach.....
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2007, 13:57
maui

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Isn't it all about priorities?

Three factors, noise, economy of operation and economy of spacing. Which is the most important?

If it is noise, then fine keep it clean as long as possible but tell ATC , so they can plan accordingly. If it is economy of operation, a decelerating approach clean as long as possible is the go, impracticle in busy airspace However if spacing (runway capacity) is the criteria tell your beancounters to stick it where the sun doesn't shine, and comply with the directions of ATC.
I venture to suggest that, if you are prepared to dirty up, 160 at 4 is no problem for anyone, unless you have a tailwind.
Ashling suggested that an NG would have a problem. If you have your gear down and flap 15 or 25 at 4, are you telling me you cant get the rest of it configured and slowed in the next 400'. If it makes a bit more noise, tuff tits, you can't please everyone.
Someone said their bus wouldn't obey a commanded speed. Dirty it up earlier and it will!
Someone else said a 75 is a slippery beast. What about putting your gear down before you get to 4. If you hit 4 with min flap and no gear, of course you will have problems slowing , configuring and stabilising before 1000'. I do it regularly in a 777IGW. Do you reckon the 75 is any more slippery.

So tell me what is the most important criteria when operating into a busy airport?

Get real guys. Who has the most authority and ultimately who has the most influence on the economy of you operation, the beancounters, the tree huggers or ATC. Dirtying up early is expensive and noisey, but is it any less noisey or expensive than an unnecessary MApp for you or the guy behind who is forced to MA becuase of you lack of flexibility.

Maui

Last edited by maui; 12th Jun 2007 at 14:09.