PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slowing down on final approach.....
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2007, 13:47
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem we have, NoD, is that it appears that this sort of 'restriction' is likely to be with us for ever, I feel. We should try to work around it. I posted this elsewhere (for the 737 Classic)
Try:
F10-160 gear up (Now edited to - 160/170 for unmodded a/c)
5D, gear down
4.5D, F15
4.2D flap/speed to taste.

Virtually no extra noise/fuel burn
ATC happy
Safety monitoring programme happy
This does not markedly affect a CDA/low drag approach. (Ah! I recall the 'fighter' low-drag approach - run&break, throttles closed from break to 50' for touchdown (on the numbers, of course), at Vref-5)

It works on the Classic. If I recall BA's SOPs anyway, you need gear down at 2000 radio if not 'visual', so there goes your CDA? The other side of the coin is that 'stable at 1000' MUST become a target and not an essential if we are to work in this environment, and company's must accept this. You talk of "the level of retribution afterwards" - what is the 'official' response when you point out the 'impossibility'? I have mentioned before the BRU 'imposition' some years ago of 160 to the OM on one runway, which was totally impossible in BA (who ignored this) until I said I was unable to land there, when it got changed. In any case you get a reasonable stab at it using the above, and as said many times, if your SOPs will NOT permit 160 to 4, say so on director, asking perhaps for 160 to 5, and I know they will cope.

The other way to 'cheat' is to increase Vref to the limit if necessary to reduce the required speed reduction - who will know - strong winds/gusts - (unless you slide gracefully off the end)