PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carbon brakes, use and misuse
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2007, 13:00
PantLoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please refer to....

Gentlemen:

Please refer to the Airbus publication "Summary of Braking Recommendations in the SOP". This was published in 2004 under the "Operational Liason Meeting, Fly-by-Wire aircraft.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about carbon brakes and especially the Airbus SOP. First, let me say that your company's SOP trumps all else. You have to go by your company's SOP, whether you agree with it or not...whether it is in agreement with Airbus or not. Your airline's AOC issuance is predicated upon your company having an SOP. It is therefore a condition of validation of the AOC that the SOPs be complied with. In other words, compliance is legally required.

Now, on to the issue at hand. There are three brake vendors for the single-aisle bus. One is Messier-Bugatti, the second is Honeywell-ALS, and the third is BF Goodrich. I am not an engineer, so I cannot tell you which one is better...or if any one is actually better than the other, etc.

According to the publication cited above, these three designs differ (in one way) by wear rates vs. brake temperature. The BF Goodrich peaks its wear at around 80 degrees c. The Messier-Bugatti peaks its wear rate at around 150 to 160 degrees c. And, the Honeywell ALS peaks its wear rate at around 225 degrees c. (These figures are approximate, as the graph to which I refer is not detailed enough to be more precise.)

Now, having said all that, one thing carbon brakes have in common is that their wear is mainly predicated upon number of applications, not how hard you apply the brakes or at what speed. This is why the FCOM procedure is to allow the airplane to accelerate (if safely feasible) to approximately 30 kts during taxi...then, you apply the brakes to decelerate to approximately ten knots. Repeat the procedure as required. "Technique" (not necessarily procedure) is to plan your taxi (using the above guideline) to minimize your brake applications. For example, you see you have to slow for a turn up ahead...try to plan the deceleration to coincide with the deceleration required to make that turn. (Again, this is technique...not SOP!!! But, you want to minimize brake applications.)

Second point that is important is that of brake efficiency in the event of an RTO. While the max temperature for takeoff is 300 degrees (fans off), the RTO certification for this requires the brake temperatures to be no more than 150 degrees c. As the temperature increases, braking ability decreases. It has no bearing on the brake wear vs. temperature relationship.

The 300 degree limitation is related to the wheel well fire scenario...hydraulic fluid flash points, etc. Airbus does not put wheel well fire warnings in their single-aisle aircraft. Simply, don't get the wheels and brakes too hot, and you don't have to worry about this.

To summarize the answer to your question, with Messier-Bugatti brakes, max wear occurs at brake temps approximately 150 to 160 degrees c. Second, the cooler the brakes, the better chance you have of duplicating the RTO stopping capability as per the performance charts. "Cold" is better than "warm"...and "warm" is better than "hot" when it comes to stopping capability. Third, follow your company's SOP.

Hope this answers your questions. I wish I could send you to a URL address to download this publication...I will look to see where I got it.

Fly Safe...

PantLoad