PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slowing down on final approach.....
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2007, 18:43
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The first time I really came across serious speed control was when I was based at JFK for 3 years flying DC-10s for an American operator.

Now I freely admit that I am way out of date with current operations in the US of A but, in those days, there were only three speeds:

250 knots below 10,000 ft.
210 knots intermediate approach.
180 knots to the marker.

After the marker, speeds were yours (although small adjustments might be requested by ATC).

Now then, everyone in the whole of America did exactly that and I do not ever recall it being a problem at O'Hare, DFW, Atlanta or anywhere else. It seemed that whatever aircraft you were flying managed somehow to fit into the national plot.

So what has changed?

For one, we still do not have an agreed European-wide speed limit framework and most probably never will.

For two, we have the introduction of the dreaded FDM system whereby any attempt to deviate from SOPs will result in a visit (without tea and biscuits) with the chief pilot regardless of how reasonable your "excuse" might be.

Does anyone else remember the saga of the BA 737s making go arounds on 08at Innsbruck because the EGPWS was giving a "pull up" on short finals because of "map shift"?

These guys were making go arounds on short finals in VMC conditions with a good runway in front of them because not reacting to the EGPWS was going to mean a visit to the head shed.

As long as such deterrents are in force (and I am not saying that FDM is a bad thing) ATC are going to get little cooperation. In fact, someone on the thread has already stated that the BA Airbus fleet is paying little attention to you.

It seems to me that 4D is too late for a speed limit. Perhaps if you could manage with 5 or 6D then more of us would be able to keep you and our FDM officer happy?