PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slowing down on final approach.....
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2007, 16:17
FinalVectors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi!
I like to go back to the question asked in the beginning of this thread. "What gives" when given a speed restriction, when should you slow down?

When you are cleared for i.e ILS, any speed restriction are also lifted unless controller have stated a speed to maintain. All you should follow after the clearance is any restrictions decribed on the approach charts. (guess most busy airports have written something like :"maintain minimum 160kt's to OM/4-5NM...if not able to comply...report to ATC") So that means if you are turned on as an example at 25nm final you can theoretically reduce at your own descretion without doing anything wrong.
However....slowing down that early..if you are in a sequence...will probably lead to a controller who will get slightly higher pitch in his voice...and not be your best friend

Most pilots are good at reducing speed with their "brain working"...which means..about 210 on base...180 from 10 miles..and towards 160 around 4-5nm final. But sometimes you get a suprize (remember I once called Speedbird with 757..for "Slowbird...contact TWR"..when he did reduce at 25NM to 160"....fuing up everything for me )

So to maintain an effective final without loosing space, controllers have to all the time specify the speed to fly at all the way.
"Turn hdg 230, Cleared ILS19R maintain speed 210 until adviced".."maintain speed 180 to 6NM"...and so on.

But to go back to beginning...unless controller tell you to maintain some speed....cleared ILS...means..you can slow down.
Regards
Final Vectors
ENOS APP