PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slowing down on final approach.....
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2007, 13:39
Human Factor
Couldonlyaffordafiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
126.825 (yes, it does give it away ),

I work for a large 737 operator based at EGxx (does that give it away as well ). Our management have been in discussions with yours about allowing us to fly 170 to 5 whenever possible, rather than 160 to 4, as it saves us having to drop the gear and flap 15 at eight miles.

A bit of background...

At least one 737 has been lost in the past due to a phenomenon known as "rudder hard-over". As a result, a few years ago the 737 speed schedule was changed. Before, we were able to fly 160 to 4 at Flap 5 with the gear up. In order to mitigate the "hard-over" issue, the speed schedule was increased for each flap setting to allow greater aileron authority for a given flap setting. However, the 737 has a gear warning horn which cannot be cancelled at Flap 15 (the setting needed for 160kts on the new schedule). The only solution is to drop the gear at the same time, with the consequent increase in noise and fuel burn. In fact, it almost totally negates the benefits of a CDA. At 170kts, we are able to fly at Flap 10 with the gear up.

The reason I bring this up is that it has been suggested to us that if we request 170 to 5 on first contact with your good self (126.825), it should be approved. Unfortunately I have given up as by the time I am transferred to your mate on 118.95, the request has invariably been forgotten. This happens 95% of the time. Clearly when I'm turning onto the localiser, it's a bit late to ask again - I have and it's been politely suggested to me that I request it on first contact with 126.825. It seems a bit churlish to reply, "I did!".

Anyway, my question....

As my company is responsible for a "significant" number of movements at EGxx (sorry, nearly called it LGx ), is there a reason why ATC cannot plan for us to do 170 to 5 and only make us do 160 to 4 if there is a tactical reason at the time?

Not having a dig, simply curious.

Regards,

HF

PS: In 737 terms, to make our "stable approach" gate of 1000' AAL, 160 to 4, 170 to 5 and 180 to 6 equate pretty much to the same thing.