PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slowing down on final approach.....
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2007, 22:41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...thanks for all your contributions so far......

cheers guys and girls for all your replies......just a quick update and some replies......

i dont want to turn this into a them and us debate. i am a controller.my job nice and simple (sometimes) provide a service to aircraft departing and arriving at egXX. (my name will give it away). this to me means firstly safety and then service. i try where possible to update pilots ie maintain 180kts i will slow you shortly etc.

411A...you're paid to land the aircraft safely and im paid to firstly keep the aircraft safe and then to offer a service to the aircraft. i do operate precise speeds and i expect them to be complied with....if they can't then i expect the pilot to inform me. now the airport i provide this service for is busy however, rarely too busy for a pilot to speak. i'm guessing you dont fly...because of your answer to keep aircraft in the hold! it worries me slightly that you think controllers put aircraft in jeopardy for our "convenience".....i think not.

flash2002 - i sometimes say "arrange your speed to be 160 between 7 and 4 dme." to me this means free speed but be 160kts between 7 and 4 dme - it helps the tower controllers if they need to cross the runway with tugs etc if the aircraft is doing standard speeds.

finger bob - 170 to 5 is rarely a problem as long as we know - like most things if we now early enough we just work round it....downwind is a good time when leaving a flight level for an altitude.

thanks again for all your comments