PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slowing down on final approach.....
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2007, 20:30
duece19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems fairly clear to me, that there are two diffrent issues about the same problem. An aircraft just doesnt loose speed like a car and with todays SOPs becoming more and more strict regarding stable criterias this creates a problem.

Having said that, there is no excuse for disregarding a speedinstruction without letting the controller know why and what will happen.

But since this really is a problem Im quite surprised that the flightops management at various airlines have not communicated this to ATC.

Del Prado - you name a few "offenders". Since this seems to happen near enough most of the times with these types of aircraft/airline combinations then there may actually be an issue?

Letting people slow down earlier may well lead to increased delays, but the other is pressing crew in to inacceptable positions regarding height vs speed and surely this is not the way forward?

I think there has been many examples shown in this thread already about how hard it can be to loose 45ish knots in 1 mile, but I also believe the issue of regarding speedinstructions as serious as they are has been "properly" adressed.

Something needs to be done bout this, so why cant we start communicating through official channels rather than just moaning and groaning here?

hat, coat...

Duece