PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beverleys
Thread: Beverleys
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2007, 14:58
sycamore

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Bev

As a young and keen TP at AAEE in August`70 I got the opportunity to fly as a co-pilot in XB261 on an ULLA drop on the `Plain. The captain was a Canadian exchange pilot `Jake` Wormworth and as I was always trying to cadge trips when not testing helos, I was commandered to work the `engine-room` of the `Bev`. Can`t remember the exact details, but it was one of the last and largest loads dropped/pulled out , probably about 50k lbs,as a bit of one-upmanship to the Herc, which was also on trial,probably why there were no other co-pilots around . It was necessary to drop at about 15-20 foot sill height ,about 8-10 ft wheel height, and keep that height as the load was released,and pulled out the back,transient CofG change causing a lot of stick pushing/pulling and a lot of `engine-room` telegraphing as well. After a `dummy` run to co-ordinate ourselves, it all went well, and I managed to fly the `block-of-flats from a toilet window` back to B-D.... Sadly the a/c later went to Fboro, and later ,where-ever. Syc