PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slowing down on final approach.....
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2007, 11:05
parabellum
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Around the 20th October, 1998 I was doing my first arrival in to EWR, (Newark) and had self briefed just about as far as one can go. We approached from the North and complied with all ATC instructions, however as we were about to turn finals the controller delivered us a severe telling off for reducing speed and told us that we were in trail with many 727s, (we were a B747-400), and the next time we did that we would be fed off the stream and delayed etc. etc. "now change to tower on xyz.00". We had no choice we were far to close to challenge him and we needed a landing clearance, apart from that arguing on frequency is a no no.
I was very pissed off as we had followed to the letter, the mile and the knot all of the requirements of the Jeppesen plate and AT NO TIME had been issued ANY speed control instructions by any of the controllers.
Was this guy showing off to the 727.s, a new controller or just having a go at us as a new operator into EWR? (regularly into JFK with no problems at all). Thought about 'phoning from the gate and asking him to explain himself but what is the point? His timing and what he said left me believing he was showing off and not worth talking to.

If ATC want to impose their own speed control to suit the local conditions at the time then fair enough but you must tell the guys in the aeroplane too, (please!).