PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA Pilot Shortage
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2007, 09:37
HeavyWrenchFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've flown with 15,000hr pilots who performed pathatically on a regular basis for various reasons and with 500hr pilots who performed very well on a regular basis. So please save your 'flight time = experience' b.s. for someone who doesn't have thousands of hours and doesn't know there are sub-standard pilots out there with thousands of hours of flight time who can't fly worth a crap. The accident files are littered with high time but low experience pilots who looked very competent on paper and flew perfectly good airliners into the ground with hundreds of pax onboard. Experience is a matter of knowledge & ability, time alone only gives you a 'chance' to learn and improve yourself. Some choose not to put in the effort and learn next to nothing after all those thousands of hours of flying and their low performance level shows it... I see it all the time. Read pilot error accident reports and look at the high flight times of the pilots involved. Then ask yourself if they had a high experience level matching their high flight time.

Also a freight pilot flying Bandits or the like for a shady outfit which does not keep their equipment up to standards and expects it's pilots to break many regulations on a regular basis (pretty much ALL small plane freight outfits in the US), who has knowingly broken the rules to the satisfaction of his/her employer sinking below standards to keep his/her job is hardly the professional aviator I would hire. I don't care what kind of crap he/she has flown thru and lived. Those initial attitudes and habits are hard to get rid of. On the other hand a low time aviator who has been trained to perform to high standards with dicipline to adhere to SOPs and regulations is someone I would trust with my aircraft. I don't have to untrain a lot of bad habits and attitudes which are inherently present in the typical freight pilot who has the initial traits of a rougue pilot imprinted in his/her character as a basis of his/her 'experience'.

Amount of time is not a good indicator of 'experience level', simply becuase some people are lazy idiots. And once a lazy idiot, always a lazy idiot.

Cheers