PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slowing down on final approach.....
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2007, 21:16
World of Tweed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
126.825: I take your point about maintaining a instructed speed restriction. I can vouch that the "160Kts to 4DME" rule applied at most large airfields in the UK is complied with where possible and infact Speed discipline is encouraged at all times within our company.

However, there are times when the criteria for a Stabilised Approach take precedent over the requirement for traffic sequencing. When at light weights - 160kts at 4miles would see the 757 not even Half-configured for landing at 4 miles. And when your Vref is 108kts you'll struggle to be stabilised (in my company - within 10kts of target speed) by 500ft. Factor in any tailwind and you may as well go-around there and then.

Often you can't get a word in when you want to slow down so it becomes catch 22 and end up getting an ear-full from ATC. (albeit deserved from ATC perspective.)

Bomarc: So what if there are a lot of new pilots out there? Whatever their experience level their primary concern has to be the sucessful and safe execution of the appraoch and landing. If you are inexperienced on type then one should naturally be in the slot and configured earlier to minimise as much risk and achieve that - you would seem to suggest that a low hours guy would be slowing up diliberately to muck up the sequencing.