PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drug & Alcohol testing takes a step further
Old 9th Jun 2007, 18:17
Dea Certe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has there been a problem with crews using drugs? In the US, I seem to recall that of all pilots tested for illegal drugs, the results came back 0.06 per cent and that included pre-employment tests!

I can tell you, the whole process is humiliating. First, some one in a whilte coat meets your flight and delivers a while envelope to the "testee." You have 15 minutes to report to the testing station. It's usually a restroom on the airport property that's been closed to the public. You produce your white envelope and company ID.

Then, after removing your coat and leaving your wallet or purse behind, you enter the cubicle. The water in the tank is dyed blue and the handle is taped so you can't accidently flush.

If, for some reason you can't "produce on demand", you have two hours to filled up and try again. Also, the temperture is taken after the sample is collected. And you get to sign all sorts of papers. Thankfully, it's not bog paper, but "legal-type" ones.

They can have my "product" any time they want, but frankly, I resent being pretty much accused of being guilty without cause. And what about "false positives"? It happens.

Just my thoughts.

If anyone wants more info, please IM me.

Dea

PS: I've been tested about 20 times in the last 10 years. Clean every time.