PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CATHAY PACIFC: A really really big flight school.
Old 9th Jun 2007, 08:48
newbie1972

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cx Training System

And while I am on a roll (yes, a whole 3 posts now!!)...

The CX training system is a shocker and in my opinion almost verging on destructive. In particular command training. I know it has been done to death. However I want to make the following points....

CX seem to have more hoops to jump through than any other major airline I know. In particular hoops of the political variety. After your final check, your file STILL has to go to the 'committee'. Why bother giving a guy a 'check' qualification if he can't actually 'check' a guy out and give him the nod?

The training management may have improved recently, however there are still signs of a significant number of trainees being binned (still for a few bizzare reasons). Nobody in the Flight Ops Department has got the balls to say 'enough is enough' and get a serious attitude readjustment program started up. It's not about lowering standards - it's about being fair and reasonable in your expectations. The acid test remains - would you trust this guy with your own family on board?

And before you give me this 'their train set' bull****, it has nothing to do with that. The command failures are costing the company millions of dollars. A few powerful and well connected individuals are costing the company these millions of dollars. The Command failure rate is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than any major airline I know. The command failure rate is SIGNIFICANTLY higher on the Airbus (there are reasons why the failure rate may be different, but not THAT different). These so called professional managers simply refuse to look within their own organisation and I have a suspicion they are afraid of radical change as that may imply they have in fact failed themselves.

NR needs to kick butt and haul his managers into line. Why he hasn't done this already makes me wonder where he's coming from.