PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2007, 08:37
PaulM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vic154

Bad luck,
IMHO there is an element of luck involved, you may only of missed the pass mark by 1 or 2 questions and on another day would have passed.

Firstly, regarding the personality questions.
I don't know how much weight is put on this or if you passed the other tests would 'failing' this eliminate you. However, my strategy was not to allow myself any thinking time, just answer straight away. As I recall, towards the end of the test there is questions that contradict earlier questions so you need to be careful of them. Also, if there was a question which I couldn't decide, I tried to think of it from a third party angle, i.e Q 'do you lead discussion when in a group ?' , A Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't, depends on subject I suppose. I though of how my friends would describe me and marked that box. It helped me.

Matching test:
I answerer all these within the time.

Spatial awareness:
I kept an eye on my watch and when I only had 5 minutes left I skimmed the rest of the questions and answered any I thought I could quickly, for the harder ones I tried to eliminate a couple of answers and increase my odds with an educated guess for each.

Motivation test:
Again, answered them all.

Maths test:
Similar to spatial.

I suppose overall, I answered the questions carefully and I hope accurately up to the 5 minute left mark, then sped up on the rest answering the ones I thought I could without much thought. Then guessing some if I got it down to a 50/50, then if time allowed think about the harder ones. I think I left 1 or 2 on the spatial, and answered all the rest. Thats not to say they were all correct, however, from reading previous posts I don't think they negatively mark(deduct for a wrong answer). I reckon there might be a cut off on the amount answered though, perhaps you must answer 75% of the questions...but I don't really know.

Anyway, If you answered about 30/40 ish of the questions, then next time you'll do a bit better because you know what to expect and the time restraints upon you, I am sure you'll be more relaxed aswell.

It's worth pointing out at this stage that I passed the tests last year so they may have changed the marking strategy by now.

I apologise to those who advocate the no guessing approach if you feel I have contradicted that. However I don't think I did, just explained how I did it, and that maybe some questions are suitable for an 'educated' guess and some certainly are not. If your time's running out and you don't think you've answered enough questions then IMHO you'd be as well having a guess at the easier ones.

I've went on a bit now...sorry.

Good luck next time.

P.S. I passed the test day last spring, failed the assessment centre(hr interview, atco interview, group exercise, another motivational paper)-this has all changed now aswell.
I received feedback(I think you can get feedback at the interview stage only) and was told that I marginally failed the hr interview only. 6 months later was asked if I wanted to resit it(without having to do everything else again) as it was a marginal fail. Of course, I did this and passed. How lucky is that...not having to do all the other stuff again.

Thanks to all you guys on here as you certainly helped me get through.

Look through previous posts and use the search facility and you will find all the answers to your questions and loads of other peoples opinions on the tests etc