PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Caravan Endorsement/ Cost.
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2007, 05:08
bushy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shakeout

There is a big shakeout happening. I flew for decades in GA and enjoyed most of it. I earned about what an experienced teacher earns. It was a viable and satisfying career.
Then a flood of airline wannabies came along and ruined everything. This developed to the extreme. I could never figure out why people who were smart enough to get a licence were not smart enough to research job prospects before they spent their money on training.
So we had a lot of unhappy jobhunters blaming the operators for not giving them good jobs, free endorsements and buying new aeroplanes for them to fly. The flood of wannabies actually killed most of the well paying jobs. It also undermined the long term GA pilots, and the dedicated flying instructors, so there are only low timers left.
They are now saying the same things about regional airlines, and some of the majors.(what happens in GA moves into the airlines) With the attitude often displayed I sometimes wonder if any airline would hire them.
The airlines are looking for the qualified endorsed, experienced pilots and they will try to pinch them from other airlines and the air force first, and from overseas, because that would be cheapest, and their attitude may be more suitable.
Lots of GA pilots will get better jobs but many will not. I wish them all well.
But my great hope is that GA will in furure NOT have a lot of impatient, disinterested airline wannabies. I hope the airlines recruit lots of the pilots who are waiting in GA, and after that from a number of GOOD flying schools and MCPL holders so the GA operators can rebuild their industry with dedicated GA pilots who get a decent wage again.
GA and regionals CAN be much better than they are now. Times are changing, and it is necessary for them to change.
Let's all help to make changes for the better and get rid of some of the bitchiness we see today.