PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Pilots Salaries
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2007, 03:22
Swamp76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salaries

I've been following but haven't posted a salary as I have never, nor do I expect to ever, work in the UK. I didn't think the info would be much use to you.

OTOH, I disagree about the idea of playing the cards close to the chest. I have always been very candid when pilots ask me what I am making in this business. The biggest weapon the 'low budget operators' have against us is our own unwillingness to share information.

I remember very well when the base I was working at was taken over by new management (it was in West Africa). Our new offers of employment contained a clause forbidding us from revealing the contents of our salary and renumeration package (offered) to anyone, citing it as privileged information. The majority of us posted them on the bulletin board in the pilot's office. We refused to be used against each other. The base manager nearly had an aneurism when he saw it, but was at least smart enough to walk away. We would not be bullied or play games with side deals. In the end only 1 of the 24 of us (pilots and engineers) accepted the offer.

Senior management here has told me many times in the last few months that "if you can't get a good rate for your helicopter today, you shouldn't be signing the contract". It is the same for us. If we aren't getting what we feel we deserve, we should be working somewhere else where we will.

BTW: as an offshore captain on the AS332L in Canada, my annual salary would buy GBP 51,888.