PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slow Flight
Thread: Slow Flight
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2007, 17:29
underread east

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for your comments, but I am still none the wiser.

The discussion between myself and colleagues has always had them using the (irrelevant) Vmcg argument for not flying an approach at less than 117Kts, and I am yet to be convinced that it is unsafe to fly at a slower speed than this when the Vref30+5 approach speed that boeing says is safe at low weights they consider safe at an aerodynamically identical speed (Vref30+5) when the aircraft is heavier (in benign conditions, light wind, uncontaminated runway - talk of gusts etc are not part of this discussion).

Going back to what Vmcg takes into account - MTOW, Failure of critical engine at V1, no reversers. In the scenario I mentioned initially, MTOW is not relevant, we are almost at MIN weight. In the stop case we decellerate with or without REV, and are safe. In the G/A case, we apply full thrust, and whether or not we touch down in the process, we remain in flight, so Vmcg is not part of the equation here either...

I just wish to confirm by belief that approach speeds below Vmcg are safe. I have much to learn and may well be wrong in this belief. I just wish to operate as safely and professionally as I can, and as ever standby to be corrected!

Again I thank you for your learned comments...