PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA/JAA Aviation Medical & related issues
Old 8th Jun 2007, 14:53
hogespa28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do your Class 1 Medical BEFORE you start!

Heres the story...

I've been flying as a for a number of years as a student pilot ( haha, dont ask why... ) but until recently wasnt thinking about a CPL

A few months decided it was time to get serious and go for it. I already had a class 2 medical that I could have continued using but at the last moment (Just before signing for my loan) I decided to do the Class 1 just in case...

I'm 23, male, fit and generally healthy...

Results came back and my cholesterol is off the scale!

Thankfully being young I can fix it and my medical will still get approved, however had I left it another year or two ( ie. until I finish training ) I may have not only be denied a medical but also be on a fast track to early heart disease before 30...

Simply had I not done this I may have had a huge outstanding loan, no job medical/job and a struggling heart.

Do the Class 1 medical before you spend any money! Not just to be sure you can get it to fly, but also so you can fix anything before it worsens...

Sure its tempting to save a few hundred early in the training when its not really required but its money well spent as I have found out...