PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND - 2
Thread: SOUTHEND - 2
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2007, 11:43
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HZ123

Well, there's pessimism and there's rubbishing good news just as a matter of principal and fear that your comments fall into the latter category.

If you read what I wrote regarding the possibility of a runway extension, Alastair Welch said "without the need for the removal of Eastwoodbury Church". Of course, whether or not that is feasible is the whole reason for investigating the possibilities but the benefits could be substantial.

As far as the B52 club extension is concerned, I'm afraid you have the advantage of me there - where exactly is it located and which of the four developments would it compromise?

What type of aircraft will use SEN? Where were you when LCY was closed for the day earlier this year? Any type that uses LCY, plus nearly all of those that currently use SOU, (both airports which I'm sure you agree support a huge network of routes) can operate effectively from SEN. I would agree that SEN may not be many airlines first choice as a London destination, but the slot availability situation at LCY, STN and LTN is hardly likely to improve in the next few years so that is SEN's opportunity to make its mark and the rail station is a big step in that direction.

Flybe still express an interest in a route network out of SEN, as does another substantial scheduled operator (albeit with less firm plans), and both have large fleets of a type which would be unrestricted out of SEN.

I did end my posting with the caveat "As ever, of course, time will tell", but in Alastair Welch I think they have an MD who is not a kite-flier and who would not make such statements unless he firmly believes that he can deliver.