PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF pilots leaving
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2007, 09:07
Captain Sand Dune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the wheel turns again. Those that want to go will go, and those who want to stay will obviously stay.

Unfortunately the RAAF persists with it’s assumption that every pilot who joins wants to climb the greasy pole of promotion and be chief one day. The RAAF still just doesn’t get the point that there are some who are quite happy to forgo promotion (and all the cr*p that goes with it!) and stay flying.

I left in the mid 90’s when promotion loomed and got a job doing what I was trained to do and getting paid more than anyone in the military had even heard of. I continued to gain experience in the field and was snapped up by the RAAF several years later because now I was (wait for it) experienced! I have more hours in my logbook than most CO’s have. Actually that includes Shep, but that’s nothing to boast about! Somewhat ironic that the experience that made me attractive to the RAAF (well my looks wouldn’t cut it!) was gained outside the RAAF. Could’ve just left me flying but, no - must keep feeding the great promotion pyramid and man the plethora of desk jobs that somehow seem to be more important to keep manned than flying jobs.

Those of my era who stayed are well up the promotion ladder, but ceased full time flying duties some time ago. Meantime muggins here has more real flying than he can shake a stick, at with a nice fat bank account and no mortgage! I get to use my experience where it's best utilised - in an aircraft, not behind a desk!

For those that want to stay in and gain promotion – good on you! I hope you get to where you want to go. To those that want to get out – go for it! However don’t under value your hard earnt skills. Don’t let anyone else try and tell you differently – especially some of those here!