PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA/JAA Aviation Medical & related issues
Old 8th Jun 2007, 07:56
badboy raggamuffin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a smoker, also with quite bad short sight with a bit of an astigmatism.
Re the eyesight, I need to wear glasses or contact lenses at all times. My prescription is actually over the initial CAA class one limit by 0.5 diopters in both eyes, however within the renewal limits. They gave me a medical through a special dispensation called a "deviation". A great relief I can tell u. The fact that you dont need glasses all the time means for sure youll be fine. They conduct a very thorough eye test as well, and in my case recommended that I needed stronger glasses.

Regarding the smoking, I told them I was a smoker, which they recorded. However, this did not matter, as my blood pressure, lung capacity and haemoglobin count were all very healthy. All they did was advise me to stop smoking as it might make things more difficult for me as I get older. (the end of my IR training is my designated stopping date incidenally!)
I reckon that as long as your not on 60 a day with lungs and a body wrecked through smoking u'll be fine. They base the medical on actual medical fitness at the present time. Plus there are plenty of pilots who smoke, sometimes quite heavily.