PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meteor Accident Statistics
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2007, 06:59
classjazz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
classjazz

An accident concerning a Meteor was the first aircraft accident I saw. I can't remember the date (early 50's or even late 40's) but I was on a beach holiday with my parents at Filey in East Yorkshire. I was paddling in the sea when a 4 ship formation turned in towards the coast, probably heading back to Driffield. As they approached, one of the rear aircraft in the formation simply broke up in mid air. Both wings seemed to separate simultaneously and one wing plus engine landed between two caravans on the cliff top. We visited the "smoking hole" later in the day (no sign of it being cordoned off) This was certainly not the oft quoted incident of the Flamborough Head accident but I've never seen my witnessed accident mentioned since or heard of structural failure in the air with the Meteor.
Some years later when I was working on a Station Flight - awaiting being called forward for aircrew training - there was a Master Pilot who used the Staion Meatbox for his air taxi home at the weekends. Ah well.........