PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible Modular Route?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2007, 01:01
IDENTING

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm affraid i dont think you've factored quite enough for expenses or poss re-takes or going over minimum hrs. I did a very similar route except got my MEIR and CPL and FIC in the UK because thats where I wanted to teach. How you going to teach someone how to fly in the UK if you've never flown in the UK?
If your like me your going to make a lot of friends which means a lot of going out with your mates down the bar. I probably spent around £2000 just on food and drink just in the states over the 3 months or so I was there.
Visas for 2 visits inc tube fares to the US emabassy and all the bum flufferies= £200-£300.
Accom and food, drink and travel during ATPL ground school brush up courses and examinations= around £700-800
Travel insurance for 2 trips= £250
License issue= £300
The quotes are probably for minimum hrs i.e. PPL = 45hrs. the average pass rate in any country is around 50-55hrs so budget for that.
Any ATPL retakes are aound £60 each and skill test retakes any thing from £200-£600.
Factor a couple extra weeks accom for weather too. The cost of changing flights over the pond is around $100
If you get a loan you may have to make repayments during training e.g. a £25,000 loan is around £380 pm so add that on. Your training provider should be able to sort you out with the Barclays career development loan which is £8000.
If you want to train in the states then I would SERIOUSLY consider going to RIVERSIDE FLIGHT CENTRE (spelt center on their web address) in tulsa oklahoma. The terrain is much more like the UK than miles upon miles of everglades as found in florida, the school is british run with well looked after aircraft and the english accent is still rare enough out there that the girls will fall at your feet!
I wish I was doing the whole lot again because I had the time of my life, I'm dead jealous of you, you'll love it!!