PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Sylhet
Thread: Air Sylhet
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2007, 22:23
Cyrano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jabird:

Actually I share your concern about the marketing to inexperienced investors (and the fact that they refer to Air Sylhet PLC in the present tense would normally imply a current listing). The brochure includes all manner of little gems and non-sequiturs; page 10 is talking about transitioning from wet lease to dry lease operations, but by page 12 the focus is on starting up on a dry lease basis with their own AOC.

Essentially, though (and unlike a company like Silverjet who had a detailed feasibility-checked business plan before flotation) these guys appear to be looking for small investors to bankroll the pre-startup phase (researching whether they can get traffic rights, etc.)

Hmm. The longer I spend on this website the more perturbed I get.

The registered company address in London is a £25 "Fast company formation" accommodation address (this one).

The "corporate headquarters" in Birmingham is an accountancy firm.

I can just about deal with that for an early-stage startup (although the brochure clearly wishes to convey a far more established image).

But then there's a little scrolling headline banner on the bottom: "BREAKING NEWS!!! Air Sylhet reveals acquisition of first aircraft, BOEING 767- 300ER and confirms UK Air Operating Certificate (AOC) and Operating Licence (OL)."
Funnily enough, though, Air Sylhet doesn't appear either in the CAA's lists of AOC holders or Operating Licence holders as of June 1, or indeed in this week's Official Record. Perhaps they are using someone else's AOC? If so, it's at the very least a bit naughty to imply (in the context of an ongoing fundraising operation) that they've satisfied the financial fitness requirements for an AOC grant in their own right.

(I say "a bit naughty" somewhat flippantly, but I actually think it's actively misleading and have emailed the CAA. Will let you know if I hear back.)