PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meteor Accident Statistics
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2007, 20:25
tedboyat10

Location: 10 Mole Close,Langley green,Crawley,W.Sussex RH11 7PN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Luffenham- OCU238

I was posted to North Luffenham as a Nat Serviceman in May 1955.As an ex Hawker Aircraft apprentice I was an instant SAC Airframe Mech. The RCAF had vacated the site leaving masses of unwanted equipment,mainly furniture,crates, bicycles and general debris in the hangers. All trades were tasked to dispose of this,usually by hugh bonfires, and gradually RAF equipment was delivered and I believe 4 squadrons were quickly established . The hangers had been re-roofed prior to our arrival and new prefabricated Squadron Headquarters erected close to the respective hangers.All this was in place by June /July 1955 and the Meteors Mk 12's and 14's had began arriving. I was in No.1 Squadron and we were billeted adjacent to the cookhouse building, 18 to a room. Two groups were formed to man a day shift and a night shift and lack of organisation ment each billet had mixed trades and mixed shifts ! This led to a request that on the Thursday Squadron inspection those who had been on night shift should attempt to sleep tidily, at attention !!
Flying in earnest began about July ,as I recall, initially with daytime sorties and familiarisation in pairs followed by the night sorties.
The radar was not 100 percent reliable and the wireless boys were constantly replacing M/W guides or complete units and quite a few sorties were abhorted as a result. The day shift was from 8.am till 5 pm and the night shift went on till ,on average, 3 am dependant upon successful sorties or otherwise .
I recall two serious incidents during my time at Luffenham.
A Meteor returning from a night sortie attempted a very long and low landing approach which resulted in it crashing into the high ground behind the quarry at Ketton Cement Works.It hit one wing first and cartwheeled before coming to rest having lost it's tail section, outer wings and all the fuselarge foreward of the cockpit. The pilot managed to climb down into the quarry and alert the night manager and the navigator was rescued.Both survived with minor injuries !
The other incident was again a night trip when the radar was very accurate and the chaser plane ran right up the rear of the quarry plane, over Derby. I believe two aircrew survived this disaster.
I have two photos relating to these events.
There were a number of 'minor' incidents in the two years.
Aircraft attempting take off --down runway--NO AIRSPEED !---pitot cover had been left on (no red flag attached) --heavy breaking--lots of smoke !!

Winter time, 1 ft of snow--belly fuel tank fitted to Meteor.Taxiing forward --nosewheel chock hidden by snow--chock puntures tank ! Lots of recriminations !

Winter time , about 3 days later. Repeat of above --All hell breaks loose !!

Grassed areas at each end of pan excavated, to be filled with concrete. Taxiing Meteor of No.2 Squadron goes nose down into hole.Great laughter from No.1 Squadron !

Meteor lands well down the runway and continues at the end, through hedges,across the road and downhill into the field, wheels down.

The ground crews were all equiped with bicycles to get out and about the airfield and these were in RAF colours with red/white and blue roundals on the mudguards and ident nos -- clones of the Meteors !!
The experiences are still remembered 55 years later.

Last edited by tedboyat10; 7th Jun 2007 at 20:29. Reason: error in date