PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airial photography.
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2007, 20:17
FREDAcheck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested in this guy up North that can prove that a PPL can fly a plane for the purposes of paparazzi photography. Can you give more information?

From the ANO, CAP393 (2007):
PART A – FLIGHT CREW LICENCES
Section 1 – United Kingdom Licences
Sub-Section 1 AEROPLANE PILOTS
Private Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes)

(2) He shall not:
(a) fly such an aeroplane for the purpose of public transport or aerial work save as
hereinafter provided:
[none of the exceptions include aerial photography]
and:
Public transport and aerial work - general rules
157 (1) Subject to the provisions of this article and articles 158 to 163, aerial work means any purpose (other than public transport) for which an aircraft is flown if valuable consideration is given or promised in respect of the flight or the purpose of the flight.
As I understand it, the "valuable consideration" doesn't have to be given or promised to the pilot. If the flight is for any commercial purpose, for example someone (such as a paparazzi) gains or pays a "valuable consideration", whether or not the pilot benefits, then the flight is "aerial work". If the pilot is a PPL and knows (or might reasonably infer) that the photographer may use the photos for any commercial purpose, then I should say he's in breach of the ANO (and his insurance, almost certainly).

If that's wrong, could someone please explain?

Last edited by FREDAcheck; 8th Jun 2007 at 08:38.