PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beverleys
Thread: Beverleys
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2007, 18:08
Moose47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beverlys

Hi Milt

It was R.C.A.F. Station Namao, not Base. I was there from February 1961 to May 1963.

R.H. ‘Russ’ Janzen was a test pilot with the R.C.A.F.’s Central Experimental & Proving Establishment Climatic (evolved from C.E.P.E.’s Winter Experimental Establsihment). He flew the Beverly at Namao and also at R.C.A.F. Unit Fort Churchill, Manitoba. Flight Lieutenant Karl Weinstein was the R.C.A.F. ‘s Beverly project engineer.

The Beverly was tested by C.E.P.E. at Churchill during the winters of the 1956 and 1957. Once the proper mods were in place, the aircraft could conduct ops down to a temperature of – 40 degrees.

During one flight to Uranium City, Saskatchewan, the crew had to depart with ten inches of snow on the ground. No problem! Al they did was taxi the aircraft up and down the runway until they rolled three tracks in the snow and then off they went.

I heard that the Beverly’s interior noise level exceed that of the Canadair North Star. Now that is really loud.

The F-89 Scorpions were from the USAF’s 59th Fighter Interceptor Squadron. They belonged to the 64th Air Division.

I have a black and white photo of the Beverly at Namao if you are interested.

Contact me at: ccharlandATcogecodotca

Cheers…Chris