PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reroute plane without telling passengers - go to jail!
Old 7th Jun 2007, 17:35
puddle-jumper2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ISO100,

With reference to the Italian flight in question, the passengers would have been checked in way before the flight departed. As far as the Pilots and management are concerned at this point they probably thought the flight was going to destination.
Trust me, you can be really close to destination and still not get in. I have had an airport turn the runway lights off on me and I was only 5 miles away.

If the flight did indeed land at the alternate airfield 20 mins after the destination airfield closed it could be that the pilots tried for 'Option 2'. As the passengers were boarding the pilots probably believed they still had a chance - they probably got further delayed after this point.

Now imagine the sort of mood the passengers were already in because of the delay and then imagine what happens when you do a PA telling them that after waiting for hours in the terminal, fighting their way through security and then finally boarding the A/C when you tell them that we have run out of time and there is no chance of getting to destination before closure so it's off the A/C folks .........oh and don't forget the apology !
lets just say you don't want to be on the receiving end of it.

My guess is (and it's just a guess) that they went for option 2 and it went sour. It doesn't justify jail.